Friday, December 5, 2008

Interregnum

The next few weeks promise to be busy, as we'll be packing up and moving. Hopefully, on the far side of this, I'll be rewarded with some extra time to read and play.

My play this week has been solid but not outstanding. My counting/concentration has not been very deep at all, and I look forward to rectifying that.

In the meantime, I've been planning out the books I'd like to read next. Here's my shorlist:

Bidding Systems
Standard Bidding with SAYC book (Downey and Pomer)
Two over One Game Force (Max Hardy)
Workbook On The Two-Over-One System (Mike Lawrence)

Bidding Judgement
Improve Your Bidding Judgment (Neil Kimelman)

Declarer Play
Off-road Declarer Play. (David Bird)

Defense Play
Killing Defense at Bridge (Hugh Kelsey)
Eddie Kantar Teaches Modern Bridge Defense (Eddie Kantar)
Eddie Kantar Teaches Advanced Bridge Defense (Eddie Kantar)

General Play
Countdown to Winning Bridge (Bourke/Smith)
Master Play in Contract Bride (aka The Expert Game) (Terence Reese)
Bridge Odds for Practical Players (Kelsey & Glauert)
How to Read your Opponents Cards (Mike Lawrence)

Even one or two of these books would probably help my game. Plus, they're bound to be more exciting than Watson, which I still haven't finished. :(

2 comments:

McKenzie said...

Killing Defense is one of the best bridge books ever written. I suggest moving it to the top of your list!

warren said...

I think my only worry about Killing Defense is that it may be a bit too advanced for me. No that I'm afraid of reading it multiple times until it sinks in....