Monday, November 24, 2008

Losing My Mind

I played in a teams match this weekend. 11 of the 12 boards were decent - maybe I made some fundamental error I'm overlooking, but by and large, I think I did ok. My cardplay, in particular, was good (I think).

Nonetheless, I'm quite down on myself over the whole thing.

On one hand, a competetive auction, I massively overbid, giving up 10 IMPs single-handedly.

This seems to be a recurring theme. While my card play is slowly (slowly!) improving, my bidding seems to be fundamentally unchanged from the rubber bridge "one-upmanship" battles of my youth.

What it may come down to, fundamentally, is that I lose my head. Something happens, I get flustered, and my judgement runs away from me. I either stop thinking, or get an idea fixated in my head and I can't be fully rational about it.

If I'm well on the road to "card sense", then when I get there the next road I'll take will be to "sound judgement".

In the meantime, it would be nice if I would stop embarrassing myself.

No comments: