Friday, October 17, 2008

Hard is Easy

Often, when I play on Bridgebase Online, I play with the bridge robots, GiB. GiB isn't necessarily the most rational of partners, but he plays at my speed (and sometimes, since I'm learning, I like to slow it down.)

Ini] 4th position after 3 passes, playing with GiB, I held:

S AJT5
H 6432
D K4
C AK2

I bid a very normal 15-17 1NT. The bidding continued
1NT 2C
2H 3NT
4S

A nice normal bidding sequence, right? On the lead of the 4 of clubs, dummy came down:

S K87
H Q9
D A62
C J9873

A nice 10 point hand. I'm happy to be in game. However, I'm desperately searching for the 4-card major partner promised with 2 clubs.

Now, I won't say that I entered super-genius mode. In fact, there may be a better line than the one I took. Still, when you're THIS much up against it, the play actually becomes a bit easier. Since I need a lot of things to fall JUST SO, might as well play as though it's going to happen.

GiB leads 3rd/5th best. So I'm playing west for 3 clubs. I put up the Jack of clubs, but the queen covers, so I play the ace. Low to the king of trump, then I play the 9 of clubs (I really think I need clubs to be 3-2 here). The ten falls on my 9, so I win.

Now, back to the board in diamonds for the spade finesse. It holds. Realizing I can't repeat the finesse, I plop down the ace - 6, 7, Queen!!

I collect 4 spades, 2 diamonds, and 5 clubs, for an improbable 4 spades +1 - a completely boring average plus, as (almost) everyone else was in 3NT+1.

Addendum: I guess I can't really complain too much about GiB, though. The other day, I bid a reasonable (?) 5 clubs bid. LHO led the AKQ of clubs in order to defeat me. Fine, but why didn't it double me????

No comments: