Friday, October 31, 2008

First 2 Hands, Erin Berry Rookie-Master Game

Board 7: Partner and I come to 4 hearts, opponents silent.

 
A97
Q87
Q7
AQJ42
JT862
KT54
T82
8
Q53
J
KJ9653
K73
K4
A9632
A4
T965


I rose with the Ace of clubs. I used a spade to get to my hand, then led low towards the board. LHO rose with the king, and RHO played the jack. I think I got a diamond return, Q, K and A. Now, a low heart to the 8 held my losers to 1 club, 1 diamond and 1 heart for +620, and tie for top board in the section.

Board 8: I opened 1 spade, and partner answered 4 spades.

AQT85
4
7532
Q97
K9742
K6
94
AK62


A small heart was led. I had visions of trying to squeeze an overtrick out of clubs, but RHO won the Ace, then played the AK of diamonds. Then RHO exited with a small diamond.

My brain went a bit fuzzy, but I recognized that the only danger was if LHO had no more diamonds, and the jack of spades. I put up the King, and sure enough LHO discarded a red card. When both followed to the ace of spades, the only thing left was to see who had the jack. When RHO discarded on the queen of spades, I shook my head a bit, and one of the masters chuckled.

+420 was predicted to be an average by the hand record (N/S have a good save in 5H), and so it was for us.

No comments: