Thursday, October 23, 2008

Counting Progress

I played a dozen hands on BBO last night. I'm happy to report that there is some progress in my quest to improve my counting. Unfortunately, I still have a ways to go.

The urgency of counting seems to present itself more on defense. On one hand last night, I was able to determine declarer started with a 5521 distribution before the last card fell. I was also able to determine that I had no defense to the contract. On another hand, I was able to place partner with a 4441, only to be surprised on the last trick when it turned out declarer had overcalled on a 4 card major. On yet another hand, I was trying to determine what HCP partner held to bid a new suit over an overcall by LHO. Turns out he only had the king of clubs.

This kind of awareness is fantastic, and I hope that it continues to improve the more I play.

Unfortunately, I still go to sleep sometimes as declarer, including this rather hideous example from last night.

Q8743
KT76
7
K52
K5
A854
K64
AJ96


The 2 of spades was led, ducked to east's ace.

Two things were on my mind, the finesses that jumped out, and the hockey game on TV. The key point on this hand is that I played the King of spades, then crossed to the board in clubs to cash the queen BEFORE DRAWING TRUMPS. With trumps being 3-2, I was actually home, but hadn't been counting spades.

The 8 and 7 of spades were good. They were in fact, far better than the losing finesse I took.

No comments: