Monday, January 25, 2010

Not Drawing Trump

Normally Sunday night social games are the opportunity for me to turn my brain off and play some lousy bridge. Last night, perhaps buoyed by a big win in our teams match Sunday morning, I was fairly alert.

The following hand stood out, not because I made a brilliant play (I can't tell, but it might not even matter in the end), but because of what I was looking for....



At trick 2, the automatic thing to do, I guess, would be to lead trump. My losers in trump and hearts are completely inevitable, however, spades look at least interesting. If I'd had AQ instead of AJ, the possibility of an endplay looks far clearer, but I decided to take a shot, anyways. I decided there was very little risk.

So I claimed my 3 diamond tricks, throwing a heart. I then led trump, won on my left. The queen of hearts held, and I smiled. LHO wound up leading spades twice, and my JS ended up being the overtrick.



Granted, the JS probably sets up anyways, so it probably made no difference on this hand. Still, I was pleased that I'd struck on the idea of playing this way. If I'd held the queen of spades instead of the jack, or if I'd lacked sufficient entries to finesse spades twice, this approach might have helped me win an extra trick.

1 comment:

Tommy Solberg said...

Warren: I have been trying to figure out how to transfer shots of hands from BBO movie to my blog spot bridge blog (tommybridgeblog). I am handicapped by my computer skills being worse than my bridge skills. Is there an explanation that is easier than a transfer squeeze?If you think you can help me out pleease send me a mail at tsolberg@tampabay.rr.com. Stuff like Step 1 etc. will really help. tommy