Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday at the Club

I'm still really struggling with my stamina in long sessions at the club, which is disheartening given that I've run 3 marathons in my time. The longer a session goes, the more badly I fade out.

I played with a very good partner, but could only manage a 47%, breaking my streak of finishing in the points. It was a fair result, I think, as I certainly made my share of poor decisions.

Hand 1:

AKxx
Kxx
Axxx
Ax


WestNorthEastSouth
   1
X123
p3pp
p


My partner called me a chicken. Probably correct. As it turned out, he only made 3, but he assured me that he would find the right line if I pushed to 4.

Hand 2:
QTxxxx
9
Ax
AKQx


WestNorthEastSouth
 1NTp2
p2p4
p5p6
ppp


Partner had Ax in spades, and spades were 4-1. Even the singleton king left no play. Partner liked the bidding this time, as he figured the slam was 50%.

Of course, in a weak field, this was a clear bottom.

Hand 3:
JT9x
Qxxx
Txx
AK


WestNorthEastSouth
 ppp
1X1X
1 22NTX
ppp


Unmitigated disaster, as they made 4NT. Dummy had 2 hearts - just enough to finesse my queen twice.

Hand 4:
 
xxxxx
AJxx
x
Qxx
A
KQxx
AKJxxx
xx


WestNorthEastSouth
   1
p1p2
p4pp
p


I managed to go down on this one, when partner was afraid we were missing slam.

LHO cashed the AK of clubs. I ruffed the second round, went up to the Ace of hearts, LHO discarding the ten. When I came back to the King of hearts, LHO was out, and even a long think at the table, nor the diamonds being Qx on my left, could save me.

Maybe, if I think about this hand a little more, I'll see how everyone else made it comfortably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your description of the 4H contract doesn't add up - you have a doubleton club, do you mean you ruffed the third round, or that you have the hand wrong and you ruffed the second?

The right line probably depends somewhat on the heart pips. Did you have the 9, the 8, the 7?

pattayabridge said...

Hi,
I note that you have a 'small' problem with the diamond symbol (not the same size as the others).
The solution is to change the code symbol &#9830 to span lang=EN-GB style = 'font-family:Batang'>&#9830/span>
Note that your blog will not allow me to put the complete HTML, you need a < before span and also before /span. You should then get a nice solid symbol the same size as the others. If you have a problem, please e-mail me at terry@pattayabridge.com.