Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another Book Down



Two books down now.

I bought this book because, while I'm I'm fairly familiar with the ACBL SAYC document, I wanted to make sure I had a full and complete understanding of modern SAYC. There are a lot of "extras" to the system that are nearly universal, and some truisms (such as that a 2/1 promises another bid) that are, well, less than explicit in the ACBL document.

Plus, SAYC really is the base for 2/1, so I wanted to take this one last step to make sure my foundation was firm before starting in on all the 2/1 books I've ordered.

System books, well, they're dense. This one contained, a bit surprisingly, some things that I wasn't familiar with (Jordan 2NT for example). Still, the book portrays itself as trying to describe the modern SAYC in use online, and I think it does an admirable job of doing so. I certainly did not absorb all of it in one read, but it will be a good reference, and if I'm still playing SAYC in a year or two, it maybe a good reread.

For my next read, I have chosen something a bit more...fun. Lawrence's How To Read The Opponents Cards. I can't wait.

No comments: