Monday, September 1, 2008

ACBL Indy

It's been a long, long time since I played in an ACBL tournament. Today, after reactivating my membership, I played in an INDY on BBO.

I ended up with a 53% - a healthy mix of my mistakes, partner's mistakes, and opponent's mistakes. Here are some of my bigger ones:

Board 4, 50%: 2H by LHO
Dummy, RHO:
KQJ8
QJ82
v
KQ754

I held:

AT64
5
J432
AJT9

It came down to a decision as to whether or not to hold onto clubs or spades. I chose clubs, which was a mistake, allowing the 8 of spades to take a trick. In retrospect, opponent is going to try to cash the KQJ pretty much no matter what, so I think the choice was clear.

Board 7:
playing 4H, on the lead of the ten of spades:
dummy:
Q752
KJ82
K985
5

me:
A
A764
AQJT6
KT6

LHO had overcalled, so I oped to finesse him for the queen of hearts. This failed, and RHO alertly returned a heart.

I should have ruffed two spades before drawing trump. I make this mistake a lot, I think.

Board 10:
I open a weak 2 in hearts. Bidding goes double, 4 hearts, 4 spades, all pass.
Dummy comes down:
AKT
J6
JT32
A852

I hold:
42
AKT532
93
K75

I cash the AK of hearts (should have done King then Ace, but oh well). I underlead my king of clubs - partner wins with the ace, and returns a club to my king.

At this point, I need to exit with a diamond. I force through a club, which allows declarer to discard a diamond on the established club honour on the board (declarer started with 2 clubs). Not sure if I should see this or not.

No comments: