Thursday, April 29, 2010

Takeout Doubles are (Nearly) Forcing



At our table, I passed for 100% of the matchpoints. The only other table that duplicated the auction to this point passed also. East tried to save in diamonds, but was doubled for 87.5% of the matchpoints.

One other table played in diamonds, undoubled, for 50% of the matchpoints.

North/Souths who declared did not, in general, fare well. 3C-1 by south was a common result.

Normally, partner's double would have forced me to bid. With 7 strong clubs, I was happy to make a rare exception.

4 comments:

Dad said...

A great bid. Did you ask for any hidden meanings before you made your lead?

Dad said...

Good comment. So many don't ask before leading and so many times declarer doesn't inquire about opponent's carding.

iqueguerra@yahoo.com.br said...

hi, I'm from Brazil and I wonder if you could help me to understand the bridge phrase "I'm a forcing two." It is a quote from Agatha Christie's book "Cards on the table", chapter 3:

"Women against men", said Mrs. Lorrimer as she took her seat and began shuffling the cards in an expert manner. "The blue cards, don't you think, partner? I'm a forcing two".

Thank you very much for your attention.

rizdak said...

Nice pass... East couldn't have much of a hand for overcalling 2C? I've written a web page about takeout doubles if you're interested.