Monday, October 26, 2009

No Chance

My bidding judgment is being refined as time goes on. There's a time where I would never have accepted a game invite after opening 1NT with 4333 and 15 HCP.

I never said my bidding judgment was getting BETTER....



The jack of diamonds was led. Not bad - we're light point wise, but the extra trump means that if hearts are 2/2 I'm making.

LHO showed out on the second heart.

Ok, so there's no chance. I look it over. No chance. No chance.

Well, some chance.

I eliminate diamonds, and lose my first club. LHO wins and fires back a spade to partner's jack, and my ace. That spade return was a huge help.

Now, I know that RHO has the last trump. If he's got the queen of spades, maybe, just maybe, I can get endplay him into leading spades for me.

On the second club, LHO played the king, and RHO overtook with the ace. (Yay!) RHO played his jack of hearts, then exited a low spade.

Well, it was only ever a faint hope. I duck, and win with the ten.

Yay me.

Well, sort of. Turns out RHO still had the ten of clubs. If he exits with the club, I'm down 1, which maybe I deserve to be. Still, I made a plan, watched the spots carefully, and gave myself an extra chance to make.

It's something.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Hands like this one (strip and endplay) are very common, so it's good that you have it mastered.

Good to see that you're not shy. Agressive bidding is better than being too timid.

If you correct 2NT to (only) 3H, your partner might still bid 4H. His hand reevaluates 1 point higher after you support hearts.