Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Morale/Concentration

I played 4 spades in a 4/2 fit last night.

I should have made it, too. I conceded an early spade to maintain control. They ruffed at one point, but I got back in, drew trump, and, when I saw that trump were splitting 5/2, I kind of gave up.

Of course, I'd forgotten that they'd ruffed in. Trumps were 4/3, and with long running diamonds outside, we were home free. Instead, I tossed diamonds, and kept my losing hearts, hoping to promote a heart honour after they ruffed in and switched to hearts. Imagine my surprise.

One of my big problems seems to be keeping my morale up. I was very defeatist on this contract. My concentration lapsed for a second, and I compounded my error by tossing winners, in a very dejected mentality.

Obviously, the bigger problem is that I need to bid a bit better. Still, disasters do happen, and will continue to happen no matter how good I get at this game. It would be nice to be sharp and focused when they do. I think 4 spades would have been a top instead of a bottom.

No comments: