Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hunting for a Squeeze



Spade led, won in hand. A diamond towards dummy drew the ace from LHO. A club came back, won with the jack.

I cashed the KQ of diamonds, LHO discarding a heart on the queen. A club to the queen drew the ace from LHO. Finally, a spade came back, to the queen.



I have 5 of the remaining 6 tricks. There's a heart finesse there, but I stopped and tried to puzzle out a possible squeeze. (What didn't occur to me is that, if there's a squeeze on, that would mean that the finesse is on, too. Alas.) I'm still not good at puzzling out squeezes, mostly because my counting isn't all that great. I knew what suits RHO had played, so I counted out RHO's distribution as I cashed the club and spade winners, ending by cashing the ace of hearts. When the jack of diamonds didn't fall, I ran a heart to the king.

Turns out west had 5 hearts to the queen, so there was nothing there. I guess the point here is that I at least thought about things, and had count. I'm still missing some of the basics, though.

1 comment:

Richard09 said...

If there had been a squeeze, it would have been a "show-up" squeeze. East would have been squeezed down to a doubleton heart, and the queen would show up in front of the king. The big payoff is when the doubleton queen is offside for the finesse. Then you play the same way, and when you rise with the king (because you know that East doesn't have the queen), you drop her.