Friday, March 27, 2009

Inaction Brings Passivity

Two games this week, two awful results. Both below 40%.

Honestly, we weren't that bad. Quite. In 24 hands, there were at least 3 very solid opportunities to acquire a partnership understanding. I welcome these, especially in games where we're not scoring well.

The biggest thing that not playing (hardly) for 2 or 3 weeks brought me is a return of the overly cautious, passive bidding style. I passed myself some (near) zeroes, in cases where I should clearly know better.

On the upside, my counting isn't horrible. I really thought that would go quickly. I also nailed a forum problem in seconds flat the other day, which could have come right out of Lawrence's How to Read Your Opponent's Cards. My respect for that book grows.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not complaining. I have an excellent partner, whom I enjoy playing with, and who is probably slightly better than me, both at the table and in the post game analysis. We have excellent dialogue. I think we're already in the upper half of the ACBL slowball games we play in. We're ironing out our agreements.

I still totally believe that I have the potential and ability to succeed in bridge. That my life doesn't allow this to happen THIS WEEK is nothing to be concerned about. I will get there.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

still totally believe that I have the potential and ability to succeed in bridge. That my life doesn't allow this to happen THIS WEEK is nothing to be concerned about. I will get there.

Nice philosophy.