Sunday, February 8, 2009

How to Read Your Opponent's Cards

I simply can't say enough good things about this book.

One of my big falling down points as declarer was marginal hands - hands with lots of high cards out against me, and few controls.

This book gave me a methodology and approach, both to part score contracts and thin games, as declarer. It certainly won't apply to every hand out there, but the good habits picked up while working through the book can only help me going forward.

Now, I just need to play a bunch of hands, to reinforce good habits.

Next to be read, I think, is Thurston's 2/1 book. Time to stop "winging it".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're going to read 2 bridge books a year, this one is worth reading twice. :) Very happy to read that you are gaining confidence. This game is hard. You are obviously enjoying it and determined to succeed while keeping your priorities straight. That formula will serve you well. Good luck kid.

warren said...

Thanks!

pattayabridge said...

Paul Thurston's book on 2/1 is excellent, but is does assume that you play Bergen Raises. There are a number of 2/1 books reviewed at http://www.pattayabridge.com/bridge-books-12.htm